Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Review: The Essential Guide to Geting Your Book Published


While Deidre is busy marketing her book, I’ll provide one brief book review per week.   In my first blog, Pitching, I quoted from The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published, by Arielle Eckstut and David Henry Sterry, 481 pages, previously published as Putting Your Passion into Print.  Both authors have been employed at multiple functions in the book world including author, agent, and editor so they speak from first hand knowledge. The original book was written as a one-stop-shop for selling your book, and the revision added extensive information on e-books and social media. It covers the details of all the steps from query letter through selling your next idea, including: proposals (fiction and nonfiction), enticing agents, working with editors and other team members, obtaining a favorable contract, and marketing your book.  My copy is dog-eared, tabbed, and highlighted.  I was surprised at how much I didn’t know that I didn’t know, or rather how much of the book business works differently than I would have expected.  Contrary to the cliché, what you don’t know can bite you.  If you are thinking of writing a book, or you’ve written one and think you are ready to sell it, The Essential Guide… will give you give you the information you need to see your book on the bookstore shelf.
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment